Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

To open up August with a BANG I'm going to review the highly anticipated sequel to Obsidian, Onyx!



Release Date: August 14, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Series: Lux #2
Characters: Katy Swartz, Daemon Black, Dee Black
Age Group: 15+
Pages: 416
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Buy the Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


My Review: I'm going to start this review by giving an anecdote of my reaction upon receiving this wildly anticipating, sexy, to-die-for novel.
I'd already been emailed a few times by Caitlin and she'd given me my tour date and what my post would be about. I was told that we'd be receiving these amazing ARCs a month before the tour started. Mid-April I was feeling a little excited and every time I went into my email, I quickly scanned for an email from Caitlin. Near the end of April, still no show; and I was getting a wee bit anxious. I emailed Caitlin wondering if maybe there had been some changes and I had not been informed of them. She kindly responded that the ARCs would be sent out in waves and mine was scheduled for May 1st. Oh boy, did I start a total countdown. My fingers itched and my eyes burned for the chance and privilege to read such a sacrilegious book. On that day, I honest-to-God swear I must have refreshed my email throughout the day at least 20 times. The ARC was no show. I was so sad, but still had hope for the next day. By the night of May 2nd I was devastated and so anxious that I still hadn't received it. The days were dragging. Then the most wonderful thing happened on May 4, 2012; I logged into my email and saw my ARC of Onyx. I screamed, squealed, laughed, whooped, ran, shook my butt, did a little dance, yelled incoherences all at the same time. Yeah, just try and imagine it.
I immediately downloaded it and sat down to read for HOURS. I laughed, cried, cursed and got furious reading this book.
I love it when a novel gets these emotions out of me because it makes me love it more. It's so amazing when a story sucks you in so deeply that you can't even hear the exterior world and you react as if it were happening to you. In fact, my stepmom knocked and called out to me (I was in my room) and I didn't respond. Hours later, I exited my room to grab a glass of water and she asked, "Were you sleeping?"
Me: "Um, no. Why?"
Her: "I knocked and you didn't answer. I even called out your name, and nothing."
Me: "Are you serious? I didn't even her you. I was reading Onyx."
Her: "Oh, the one you told me about with the alien? That you were waiting for?"
Me: *nods head like out of control puppet, with scary grin on face*

LOL, so yeah. Sorry dear stepmom, I'd been in West Virginia at the moment sparring with my hot alien next-door neighbor.

I loved how Daemon and Katy don't lose their "essence". What I mean is that, even though, their relationship takes a slightly different turn because Daemon is determined to prove to Katy that he's attracted to her not because of their freaky alien thing, they still have that "I want to kill you" attitude. I love it when they argue and go at each others' throats; it's so sexy. (Yes, I know. I'm a sick, twisted little creature.) But, I also liked that Katy is also a bit more... comfortable around Daemon. It's not that she's not affected by him anymore, dear no, but it's like she can sort of hold her own now better.
The surprises of this book are unbelievable. The DOD are bastards. Yes, that is my opinion of them. I thought I had a pretty good idea about what would be going on, but man! oh man! was I surprised with all that went down! There's a lot of steam between Katy and Daemon (I had to constantly fan myself), and the creepy alien bond they have is pretty cool. There's so much emotion going on throughout the whole book that made me feel like on a roller coaster and that ending? Come on, Jen! Why'd you have to leave me hanging like that?
There's a lot of sneaking around, kissing, drama, hot Alien, DOD, SEXUAL FRUSTRATION, and many more that Jennifer serves as beautifully as a yummy cake.

And just to give you a little tease...

"What was that?" he asked, eyes narrowed. There was no mistaking the amusement on the tilt of his lips, though. "Very bad kitty..."

All Content © Crazed Bookie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...