Thursday, June 28, 2012

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh





Release Date: August 30, 2011
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Series: Nevermore #1
Characters: Isobel Laney, Varen Nethers
Age Group: 14+
Pages: 576
Format: Paperback
Source: Bookstore
Buy the Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. 
Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. 
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares. 


His life depends on it.


My Review: I LOVED THIS BOOK! Okay, so now that that's out of my system I can smooth down my hair and continue. So, I happened across this book when Borders was still around stealing my money because I was too impatient to wait 2-6 business days while books were delivered even though they were sold at a much more reasonable price. I was browsing the shelves in the YA section and happened across this cool looking spine. When I pulled it out I was pulled in by the cover, because it is gorgeous. Okay, so I thought I'll read the first chapter, the first chapter turned into four and I just HAD TO HAVE IT. At the time, I was such an illiterate fool that I had no clue who Edgar Allan Poe (shame!), so on the way home I Googled him and filled my eyes and brain with awesomely gruesome Poe history. I had no money and my parents refused to buy me Nevermore claiming I had too many books (impossible) and so a friend of mine lent it to me via Kindle and I was put out of my misery.
Let me tell something about this book: it is long. But did that stop me from reading it all at once and simply devouring it? No siree. Not this gal. I sat down and got swept into this magical and amazing world that Creagh created, resurfacing many hours later with wide, bloodshot eyes, a thumping heart, twitchy fingers and an incredible urge to shout (but I din't because my parents were sleeping). This book was amazing! Eerie, cool, fantastical and addictive. Varen's world is so crazy and incredible that I almost weeped when I was pulled out of it. But it's also a bit scary so I was kind of relieved. I loved the whole twist that Creagh gave Poe's mysterious disappearance and death an impossibly magical explanation and how she linked everything that happened to Poe back then to all the weird things that are happening to Isobel and Varen today. Last Christmas my parents gifted me this amazing book. I jumped up and down and re-read it. And then I went back to being slightly irritated that Enshadowed is STILL not for sale. Honestly if you have not read Nevermore yet, I have no idea what the heck you're still doing that you aren't buying it.

All Content © Crazed Bookie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...