Friday, January 13, 2012

Saving June by Hannah Harrington


Repease Date: May 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Format: Paperback
Shelfability: Aquire/Gift
Source: Bookstore
Buy the Book: Amazon

Harper Scott isn't sure how to deal with horrifying truth that her older sister, June, has committed suicide and left her alone. She's not even sure what to do or think and for some reason she's also a jumble of anger. When her divorced parents decide to split the ashes, she snatches the urn and takes of on a road trip to California with Laney, her best friend, and Jake, a guy who insisted on accompanying them even though she has no idea what his connection to June even was. Will this trip bring her the understanding she needs?
Saving June is stunning. A wonderful and touching debut. I loved it because not only was it packed with drama it made you think about that things that maybe you would never normally think about. Like belief. I'm not an overly religious person. In fact, I know it sounds awful and completely atheist but church is pretty darn boring. I try to pay attention whenever I attend but I glaze over and then I feel guilty. Because I feel like it's totally disrespectful. So I hate going because I'd rather not go then go and be desperate to leave. I try not to think too much about faith God and faith and anything... divine. Because if you look at it from a logical point of view, it simply doesn't make sense and you question your faith. There was somewhere where they mention how some people need to believe in something so they don't feel alone. And that's pretty much me. Not as much as Harper's Aunt, though.
Harper honestly pissed me of a little because, I know she was hurting, losing a sister must be awful, but I felt as though she was... cold. I admired that she was strong, don't get me wrong, but I thought she simply rejected any forms of comfort and walled herself up. And for some strange reason that I yet have to fully comprehend, I loved that about her.
Jake Tolan. Okay so this guy is like the last level of Nirvana. I just loved him. Sometimes I feel like I have weakness for guys, period. But I so don't. There are many guys I don't like, so whatever. Anyway, he's really someone who I think I'd appreciate. Besides the fact that he's honest and can be a total dick when he wants to be (which I know doesn't constitute a good and attractive trait but it's totally sexy and fun), he's passionate about music. I'm a person who loves music and without it I feel like an eery silence surrounds me and I hate it. I'm always listening to music. No matter where you see me you can expect that I'll have my earbuds jammed in my ears. Even when I'm reading. And writing. Especially writing. And seeing how much he enjoys that classic rock and knowing how many people know that it was an amazing time for music and I can't help but want someone like him. To teach me about music. I love that he was filled with so much passion about something.
I always end up blabbering in my reviews so I'm totally going to stop now. The book is amazing and definitely very worth the read. Terrific.

Bonus: Check out Jake's "Saving June" playlist here.

My favorite quotes:
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum”

-----------------------------------------------------

“It's the best kind of devastating there is. He took his pain and he turned it into something beautiful. Into something that people connect to. And that's what good music does. It speaks to you. It changes you. What I'm trying to say is, it's just nice, I guess, knowing that someone else can put into words what I feel. That there are people who have been through things worse than I have, and they came out on the other side okay. Not only that, but they have made some kind of twisted, effed up sense of the completely senseless. They made it mean something. These songs tell me I'm not alone. If you look at it that way, music...music can see you through anything.”

----------------------------------------------------------------
I knock again, more persistently. Footsteps pad toward the door, a lock turns and the door opens to reveal Jake. He’s bleary-eyed, shirtless and holding an open jar of peanut butter, a spoon stuck in his mouth. Somehow, he still makes it look attractive. He blinks a few times and pulls out the spoon with a loud popping noise.

Okay, maybe not so attractive.

“That’s disgusting,” I say.

“Nice to see you, too,” he says through a mouthful of peanut butter.


All Content © Crazed Bookie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...