Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rae of Hope by W.J May


Release Date: September 2011
Publisher: Mitchell-Morris Publishing, Inc.
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 239
Format: Kindle
Shelfability: Aquire
Source: Author
Buy the Book: Amazon

Synopsis:
Fifteen-year-old Rae Kerrigan never questioned her family’s history. That is until she accepted a scholarship to Guilder Boarding School in England. Guilder is an exclusive, gifted school. Rae has no idea what she is getting herself into or that her family’s past is going to come back and taunt her.
She learns she is part of an unparalleled group of individuals who become inked with a unique tattoo (tatu) on their sixteenth birthday. The tatu enables them to have supernatural powers particular to the shape of their ink-art. Both of her parents were inked, though Rae never knew, as they passed away when she was young. Learning about her family's past, her evil father and sacrificial mother, Rae needs to decide if there is a ray of hope in her own life.

May's debut author is definitely an interesting work. Reminded me of Hex Hall, yet it had a different feeling and twist at the same time.
I didn't feel I could connect with Rae much as a character, probably because I felt that she ranged personalities constantly. And I say that in a good way because she surprised me and did things and made choices that I never thought she'd make, which I loved because I love it when a character stays fresh yet is her/himself. Sometimes it's not the authors fault. You simply don't connect with everyone you meet and to me it's the same with characters.
I loved the whole tatĂș and thought it was very creative and fun. Especially Rae's tatĂș and what it brought because it was super awesome but I'm not giving that away. Sorry.
I also like Devon very much because he's sweet and nice. He helped Rae understand better the world she's suddenly being plunged into. Rae's uncle was to definitely displease me for, well pretty much everything.
This story will entertain you and suck you in. A worthwhile debut.

All Content © Crazed Bookie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...