Friday, December 2, 2011

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Release Date:  2009
Publisher: Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Format: Paperback
Source: Friend
Buy the Book: 
Amazon

Synopsis:
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tape recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.


This book changed the way I look at many things. Taught me that sometimes we do things just because we may think they are funny but you never know how they affect that person. Maybe for you it's no big deal but for that person it could be another rock slowly sinking them.
Reading this I have been made aware that the littlest think could be that last shove for someone on the brink. I admit that I am a person who criticizes and gossips and I make fun of other people, never giving thought how I am hurting another person. I have made a promise to myself that I will try to minimize these things and not be so critical. A lot of us do this and don't even notice.


Clay was a character that we should all aspire to be like. He's kind, caring, honest, smart and just a great person. I'm not saying he's perfect but I admired the way he tried to be the best he could be all the time.
Hannah was a different matter. She was a very troubled girl being eaten away by her insecurities. She sought acceptance and comfort but no one gave it to her and in her mind the best way to stop hurting was to simply commit suicide. I loved the way Asher used the tapes to show how Hannah felt but you also knew Clay's side of the story which was also very crucial.
Suicide should not be an option but sadly many people recur to it daily as a solution. I want to take this opportunity to say that if you have ever thought about ending your life, or if you know of someone to please take action. There is help. There are other ways.  I am no expert in such matters so if you'd like to know more information visit http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/


All Content © Crazed Bookie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...