Thursday, December 22, 2011

Birthmarked by Caragh M O'Brien

Release Date: March 2010
Publisher: Roaring Book Press
Age Group: Young Adult (Dystopian
Pages: 361
Format: Hardcover
Shelfability: Borrow
Source: Friend
Buy the Book: Amazon

This is the first YA book I've read where the main character is a midwife, which is really cool and different. I mean, really? A midwife at 16?
Also I love dystopians so I was really excited to read this book.
Gaia has loyally served with her mother as a midwife to the enclave. The first three births of the month are turned in to be advanced. She's never question that it's her duty and the right thing to do. Until her mother and father are arrested. Gaia is soon faced with making a choice that could change her life forever.
When I first started this book I wasn't very sure it'd really be my thing. It felt sort of odd and, to be honest, a but boring to be reading about a birthing. A few pages later I realized that this book was souch more than that. Gaia's character was one that I felt sorry for, she has a huge scar covering Hal of her face and she feels ugly and insecure. I may not sport a scar that way but I know all about that pressure and the feeling of wanting to be beautiful and wanted. We all seek acceptance. For Gaia it's something she's given up an she's convinced that no one could want someone as repulsive as.
When Captain Grey shows an interest in helping her, she's wary. After all, he is a soldier of the Enclave. It could be a trap.
Grey was sort of a change for me. I didn't know what to make of him because he was a distant character and I'm used to the male lead being more... attractive? He was on such a hot/cold scale that I was as unsure and confused as Gaia.
The story was an interesting and compelling read and I am definitely hoping that I can get my hands on the sequel, Prized, very soon.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...