Saturday, December 24, 2011

Author Interview!—Marissa Meyer

I had the pleasure to interview Marissa Meyer, debut author of Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1), coming out on January 3, 2011. Make sure to pre-order it now!

About the Book:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

About the Author:
I read and write young adult fiction. My debut novel, CINDER, in which Cinderella is re-envisioned as a teenage cyborg, is due out 3 January 2012. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

THE INTERVIEW!

Edmiary: What inspired you to make a futuristic version of such a beautiful classic as Cinderella?

Marissa: I’d had the idea in my head to do a series of futuristic fairy tales for awhile, thanks to a short sci-fi retelling of “Puss in Boots” I’d written for a writing contest. Although I’d been brainstorming different ways to futurize some of my favorite tales for a few weeks, the idea for a cyborg Cinderella came to me quite suddenly as I was falling asleep one night. As soon as the idea hit, I couldn’t turn off my imagination and all the different ways the classic story could be twisted to fit a high-tech world. The story started falling into place rather quickly after that.

Edmiary: Why a cyborg?

Marissa: Partly because I think cyborgs are awesome—from Darth Vader to the Borg to Spike (the lead character in Cowboy Bebop), they’ve just become this really cool part of popular culture, but there’s still so much room for them to develop as real-world technology continues to develop. It was also a fun choice from a writer’s perspective: Cinder’s cyborgness is both a strength and a weakness. She has some really unique talents, but she also struggles with questions of worth and humanity. She’s been a really interesting character to get to know.

Edmiary: Who or what made you want to be a novelist?

Marissa: I’ve wanted to be a writer since I first learned that there was such a thing, and that the books I loved as a child didn’t magically pop out of thin air, but were written by actual people. I don’t think there’s ever really been another option for me.

Edmiary: If you could collaborate on a novel with any author, who would you choose?

Marissa: Although I don’t think I’d be a great collaborator (I can kind of be a control freak…), I’d have to go with Shannon Hale, one of the greats when it comes to fairy tale retellings. I’ve always admired her writing and it would be an honor to work with her.

Edmiary: Are you currently working on any new projects?

Marissa: Right now I’m working on the rest of The Lunar Chronicles—Book 2 has just gone to my editor and I’m starting in on the second draft of Book 3. I’ll be neck-deep in this series for awhile still, but I have lots of ideas for The Next Project and look forward to getting started on it when the time comes!

Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Edmiary!

Edmiary: A pleasure having you!

All Content © Crazed Bookie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...