Monday, November 14, 2011

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead



Release Date: August 2011 
Publisher: Razorbill
Age Group: 12 and Up
Pages: 432
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bookstore
Buy the Book: Amazon

Bloodlines is the widely-awaited series by the fantastic person to create Vampire Academy and swoon-worthy Dimitri Belikov (whom I miss terribly I can assure you). In this new series the story picks up right after the incidents in Last Sacrifice, so rest assured all you Mead fans we are once again sucked into the amazing world of Moroi. BUT! In this new series the narrator is Sydney Sage, the alchemist who made her first appearance in Blood Promise.
In this story we follow Sydney as she goes to California on an alchemist assignment. Her job is to give protection to Jill Mastrano, sister to the Moroi Queen Vasilisa Dragomir. Jill is under threat of an attack and is posing as Sydney's sister in a human boarding school in Palm Springs. Eddie Castille and Adrian Ivashkov join them; Eddie as Jill's dhampir bodyguard and Adrian as... no one's really sure why Adrian is there.
The Moroi Court believe that Jill and Sydney will be safe at Amberwood Prep, but threats, distractions and forbidden romance lurk and the drama is just beginning.
I really liked this novel because a) I loved Vampire Academy and was sad to see it end, b) In Vampire Academy I was super conflicted between Adrian and Dimitri, and even though I was so glad that Rose stayed with Dimitri, I was super heartbroken to see Adrian have such a sad ending.
I was a bit skeptical over Bloodlines at first, because I loved Rose and had my doubts on having the perspective from another character. So, I was actually pleasantly surprised to like Sydney as the narrator. There is a lot we didn't get to see in VA. She's smart and strong and even though I loved Rose's impulsiveness I liked seeing how she thought everything through.
Adrian is definitely a strangely alluring character for me. In VA I never thought I'd ever like him, not only because he was a bit unstable, but because he jumped from girl to girl and party to party constantly. When I was starting to think he was hopeless, Mead gave him a new twist. He changed for love and tried very hard to be a better person. What I love most about him is that he is a great person and human being but he just doesn't realize it and thinks he's worthless and that he can't do anything, well, worthy. He doesn't realize he could do so much more. And, I don't want to give too much away, but I can tell you that I loved the relationship that Sydney and him developed and how she made him see himself from another perspective.
I loved it. It was good, entertaining, it had drama, suspense and mystery. The characters were fun and most of all I was just glad to see Adrian back and hopefully in this series he actually will get his happy ending. We'll just have to wait and see. I, for one, am counting the days for The Golden Lily!


All Content © Crazed Bookie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...