Thursday, July 21, 2011

XVI by Julia Karr


Release Date: January 2011
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 272
Format: Paperback
Source: Bookstore
Buy the Book: Amazon


This book I wasn't so sure when I bought it and to be honest there was nothing better to buy. It was on my to-read list but it wasn't one I was dying to read. I bought various books alongside this one and this was the last one I read.
It was good. If I am to be honest it was better than I expected, but I didn't loooove it. You didn't fall asleep and you weren't lost which is important.
So basically, they live in a world where teens at the age of 16 get a tattoo which declares they have become of age and are allowed to have sex and, not only that, but they are encouraged to do so. They are constantly bombarded with comercials about sex and are made into sex-crazed teens. Sexteens.
Nina dreads the day she will turn sixteen. She doesn't want to be a blind sexteen. With her mother being murdered and her father dead since before she was born, she's all alone. Before passing away her mother tells her the strangest thing: look for her father! Nina thinks she was not lucid and dismisses it but then she meets cute and charming Sal. He will help her uncover her past, the secrets and horrors of being 16 and may change her whole world as she knows it.
Nina is dubious and is afraid that all he wants to have with her is sex. What scares her most is that she wants him but she doesn't want to become another sexteen.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...